Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Journey to a Barefoot 50-mile Endurance Run - Week 9 of 18

Well, I have reached the halfway point in my training.  I did my Tuesday and Wednesday runs without incident.  Thursday was a little short on miles.  I was dog sitting for my parents.  I figured that their border collie would love a nice 8 mile run.  However, being in a new neighborhood with all those new smells turned out to be too much of a distraction.  We ended up stopping every 50 yards or so.  The 8 mile run turned into about a 5.5 mile run/walk.

The good news was that the cough was nearly eliminated by Friday and I felt things were looking up.  Saturday morning, I was a bit sluggish on my warm up run before my training group.  However, during the group run, I did manage to push my pace down into the 6-minute range for the first time that I could remember.  I was able to hold it for a good half-mile to catch my front running group.  That was the good news.

Sunday, though, turned out to be bad news.  Cough, mostly gone, but aches and chills hit.  Damn - some kind of flu bug hit me just before noon.  By Monday morning, I was miserable.  I called it quits after a half day of work.  I slept pretty much all afternoon and night.  I managed to get back to work on Tuesday (today) and run with my group for almost 4 miles.  I was even able to break back into the 6-min/mile range for steady bursts of time.

So, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about my training right now.  I know I need to get some serious weekend miles in if I could just shake the various illnesses.  Fortunately I still have most of 2 months to go for training.  Still time to rack up some good trail miles and hills.


Training for this week (if I can manage)
T/W/TH - 4/10/8   S/Sun - 22/10

Oh, another bright spot this week - I published my latest minimalist shoe review at www.barefoot-running.us.  The shoe is the SKORA Base.  Take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment