Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More bad news. . .

So, as I mentioned in a recent post on my blog, I've been sick with a horrible cough.  Well, it has lasted 3 weeks as of this Thursday (tomorrow).  The worst part is that I have strained, torn, or otherwise injured my intercostal muscles on the left side of my chest from the violent coughing fits that I have had.  For those who are unfamiliar, these are the muscles in between your ribs. 

I don't have bronchitis or pneumonia - just a mostly dry, hacking cough.  This injury is what put me out of running 3 years ago.  I took several months off to heal and then couldn't get back in the saddle on running.  Fortunately, my return to running led me to barefoot running. 

I haven't run in 3 weeks.  Tonight I was itching for a run.  I thought, I can run with a little rib pain.  Well, that lasted just over a half mile before I was back at my house.  An injured intercostal feels like a knife is stuck between your ribs.  It hurts to breathe, it hurts to cough, it hurts to lift your arm, and to try and run - well, it's very uncomfortable.

So, now that my cough is almost gone, I'm stuck with this stupid injury.  I'm worried that the time I need to take off will put me out of the Diablo Trails Challenge in March.  Fingers crossed, but I'm missing miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment